Laura chairs KJK’s Economic Development Practice Group. She has a passion for economic development and has served as a project manager and negotiator of major deals that have brought and retained jobs and investment in Northeast Ohio. This includes her work managing the deal to keep Dealer Tire’s headquarters in Cleveland through the revitalization of MidTown’s Victory Center, retaining 400 jobs and creating more than 100 new jobs. Laura was also instrumental in the success of the 2016 Republican National Convention, negotiating nearly 300 convention-related contracts and advising the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee.
In addition to her start-to-finish management of economic development projects like these, Laura also works on matters related to government relations, real estate transactions and general corporate law in such areas as mergers and acquisitions, real estate financing and protection of intellectual property. Her clients have ranged from entrepreneurs and real estate developers to mid-market corporations and nonprofit organizations, and she frequently serves in the role of outside general counsel for clients. She is prized by her clients for her versatility, as well as her attention to detail in even the most complex of cases.
Laura is a proud Clevelander who returned to her hometown after working in Washington, D.C., in the U.S. Senate advancing business and community development in Ohio. Today she brings that expertise to her work in forging public-private partnerships that are fueling job growth, economic development and community revitalization in Northeast Ohio.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, J.D., 2013, magna cum laude
- Levin College of Urban Affairs, Cleveland State University, Master of Public Administration (MPA), 2013, summa cum laude
- Miami University, B.Phil., 2005, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Ohio, Member
- Cleveland City Club, Member
- Cleveland Heights Democrats, Former Trustee and Member
- Cleveland Leadership Center Bridge Builders Class of 2018
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Teaching Volunteer, 3-Rs Program (Rights, Responsibilities, Realities)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Courts
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Writing and Election Law
- Federal Bar Association’s 2011 Thurgood A. Marshall Memorial Moot Court Competition
- Negotiated hundreds of contracts related to the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland, including major public and private service and license agreements and more than $30 million in buildout, production, transportation and service contracts
- Implemented the deal to revitalize MidTown’s historic Victory Center to retain Dealer Tire’s corporate headquarters, including assisting in drafting leases, closing more than $24 million in public and private financing and refinancing, maintaining more than $10 million in federal and state historic tax credits, negotiating construction contracts and managing construction
- Acts as outside general counsel to major hospital systems, nonprofit organizations, for-profit businesses, and three national franchise companies
- Drafted operating documents and provided counsel to a former professional athlete and entrepreneur to protect his intellectual property in the development of a new service
- Frequently represents clients in front of public bodies such as city councils, planning commissions and other boards, committees and agencies
- “Dealer Tire revs up long-vacant Victory Center in Cleveland’s Midtown,” Plain Dealer, Mar. 26, 2017