Over his 30-plus-year tenure at KJK, Alan has provided strong leadership in the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice, serving organizations of all sizes and industries in creating, strengthening and defending their employment policies and procedures. He also has substantial experience representing companies in a wide variety of corporate matters, and is a member of the firm’s Corporate Practice Group.
Alan’s approach is to work side-by-side with clients to develop employment strategies that build the growth and health of their companies and head off future risks and challenges. He brings an entrepreneurial mindset to his work that makes him well-suited to serve companies ranging from start-ups to multi-million-dollar firms. Prior to joining KJK, he served as general counsel of the Cleveland-based women’s fashion company Bobbie Brooks, Incorporated, bringing the experience of in-house leadership to best serve clients today.
In addition to helping clients create sound employment strategies, Alan also contributes his skill to drafting employment and separation agreements, creating employee policy and procedure manuals and representing clients in wrongful discharge, equal employment opportunity and harassment cases.
As a corporate lawyer, Alan’s work includes representing clients in mergers and acquisitions, including negotiating terms, assisting with due diligence, and drafting letters of intent and related transactional documents. He also provides counsel in connection with distribution and supply agreements, the development of standard terms and conditions, and avoiding and resolving business-related disputes.
Alan is a devoted supporter of Cleveland’s arts community, especially the Cleveland Play House, where he is a life member and past chairman of the board of directors. He is also a community activist, holding local and national leadership roles with the Anti-Defamation League.
“Employment law is an area where good law and good business are the same thing.” – Alan M. Rauss
“This firm thinks in a very entrepreneurial way and understands how business owners think.” – Alan M. Rauss
- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1972, cum laude
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., Economics, with minor in Sociology, 1967
- Anti-Defamation League
- Member, National Commission
- Honorary Member, National Executive Committee
- Former Chair, National Legal Affairs Committee
- Former Board Chair, Ohio-Kentucky-Allegheny Region
- Cleveland Play House
- Life Member and Past Chairman, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association
- Member, Employee Rights and Responsibilities Committee, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Former Management Co-Chair, Judicial Developments in Wrongful Termination Subcommittee
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Labor Law Section
- Member, Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section
- Former Chairman, Corporate Law Department Section
- State of Ohio Bar and All Courts
- U.S. District Courts, All Ohio Districts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers 2007-2019
- Provides strategic advice to companies of all sizes on creating employment policies and procedures and drafting employee manuals
- Assists clients in the development of employment, confidentiality, non-compete and separation agreements
- Counsels clients on strategies for dealing with difficult employees
- Instructs human resources staff in compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Represents clients in employment-related matters such as wrongful discharge, harassment and equal opportunity cases
- Provides direction to clients’ leadership teams about relevant changes in employment regulation, such as changes to employee classification and overtime pay procedures
- Assists in the negotiation of terms, and in the drafting of letters of intent and transaction documents, during mergers and acquisitions
- Counsels corporations in the development of standard terms and conditions of purchase and sale
- Drafts corporate transactional documents such as distribution and supply agreements
- Assists clients in the formation of entities for the operation of a business, development of corporate governance standards, and drafting of related agreements among the owners