Legal Services for Healthcare Professionals, Administrators, & Providers
Health Care Business Transactions
- Professional Licensing and Disciplinary Matters
- Sales and Purchases of Physician Practices
- Software Licensing
- Private Equity
- Joint Ventures, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Formation, Structuring and Contracting
- Employment Agreements
- Vendor & Supply Chain Contracting
- Bankruptcy & Reorganization
Healthcare Consulting: Guidance on Changing Healthcare Laws and Regulations
- Cannabis Industry Guidance
- Medicare and Medicaid Reimbursement & Compliance
- Not-For-Profit & Tax Exemption
- Opioid Prescribing Requirements
- Guidance on Stark, Anti-Kickback and Fraud & Abuse Laws
- Health Care Reform
- HIPAA and HITECH Compliance
Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
WHO WE SERVE
- Accountable Care Organizations
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Dental and Orthodontic Practices
- Healthcare Information
- Technology and Software Companies
- Home Health Agencies
- Hospitals and Health Systems
- Imaging Centers/ Independent Diagnostic Testing Facilities
- In-Office and Reference Laboratories
- Institutional Pharmacy Providers
- Medical Device Manufacturers and Distributors
- Med Spas
- Retail and Compounding Pharmacies
- Revenue Cycle Management Companies
- Single and Multi-Specialty Groups
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
KJK Health Care Attorneys:
We Help Businesses thrive.
We structure physician and other referral relationships in accordance with the complex layers of federal and state regulation, including the federal Stark law, Anti-Kickback law and state corporate practice medicine and licensure requirements
Acquisitions, Investments & Divestitures
We’ve represented hospitals and physician practices with acquisitions and divestitures, as well as assist health care clients in obtaining venture capital, other private equity investments and bank financing
Our team represents clients who look to organize and negotiate significant cutting-edge population health joint ventures, co-management companies and physician multi-specialty joint ventures
Our services are unique
Because your health care practice is unique.
- Serve as General Counsel for an Ohio hospital and provide advice on a wide range of matters to other hospitals and health systems
- Organize physician practices, home health agencies, management service organizations, hospital physician practice subsidiaries and other health care providers and suppliers
- Negotiate numerous employment agreements and executive severance agreements for health care clients
- Provide healthcare regulatory guidance
Health Care Innovative Program:
KJK HIPAA Compliance Package
Health care providers and businesses who work with providers must navigate a complex compliance framework. KJK’s Health Care attorneys can work with clients to provide a full suite of documents and training to assist in complying with HIPAA, HITECH and state law privacy obligations.
We offer the following:
Policies & Procedures
HIPAA requires that health care providers have a robust set of policies and procedures in place to protect patient confidentiality. KJK’s healthcare attorneys will work collaboratively with you to make sure that the policies and procedures we create meet your organization’s needs.
KJK will prepare your HIPAA patient authorization forms, notice of privacy practices, and form of business associate agreement to ensure all your documents are aligned.
Businesses that are subject to HIPAA and HITECH need to train their workforce on applicable compliance requirements to ensure that all workers can adhere to their policies and procedures. KJK can help.
- Defended physicians, dental practices and pharmacies in state licensing board actions.
- Completed Medicare enrollment and change of information forms and assisted clients to resolve issues surrounding the same.
- Represented clients to organize and negotiate significant cutting-edge population health joint ventures, co-management companies and physician multispecialty joint ventures.
- Represented small and large physician practices in selling their respective private practices through stock, membership interest, or hybrid transactions to large nonprofit medical centers and to publically traded companies.
- Represented physician practices, nursing homes and other health care businesses merging with large physician groups or other businesses, forming new subsidiaries and acquiring other physician practices and businesses.
- Organized physician practices, home health agencies, management service organizations, hospital physician practice subsidiaries and other health care providers and suppliers, which has included the preparation and negotiation of shareholder agreements, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements and related corporate documents.
- Structured physician and other referral relationship in accordance with the complex layers of federal and state regulation, including the federal Stark law, Anti-Kickback law and state corporate practice medicine and licensure requirements.
Health Care Facilities
- Serve as General Counsel for an Ohio hospital and provides advice on a wide range of matters to other hospitals and health systems.
- Assisted ambulatory surgery center and home health clients in responding to and preparing for governmental and accreditation inspections and surveys.
- Reviewed and negotiated numerous employment agreements and executive severance agreements for health care clients.
- Provided HIPAA, HITECH, Red Flags Rule and related data privacy and security guidance to clients through the preparation of policies and procedures, day-to-day compliance advice, business associate and data sharing agreements, employee training materials and assistance in breach notifications and response.
- Provided guidance to numerous health care clients regarding ambiguous and changing regulations under federal and private payor health care payment reform.
- Reviewed and negotiated numerous procurement contracts and real estate leases for hospital systems.
- Provided health care regulatory and employment law compliance guidance to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, home health agencies, independent diagnostic testing facilities, laboratories, staffing companies, management companies and other health care providers and suppliers, including the preparation of policies and procedures and employee handbooks.
- Assisted health care clients in obtaining venture capital and other private equity investments and bank financing.
- Served as corporate and regulatory counsel for large national health care providers operating under the “friendly-physician” practice model.
- Represented hospitals and health systems in the acquisition and divestiture of physician practices.
- Conducted and closed significant private offerings for numerous health care businesses, including for example, hospice, home health agencies, national practice management companies, hospital co-management companies and software companies.
- Organized and served as corporate and regulatory counsel for Medicare accountable care organizations (ACOs) and physician organization.
- Provided guidance to health care providers and medical device companies regarding the Physician Payments Sunshine Act and other federal transparency and reporting initiatives.
- Represents global revenue cycle and physician practice management company.
- Represents numerous software companies that service the health care industry.
- Represented retail and compounding pharmacies in the acquisition and divestiture of pharmacy business and assets.
Susan O. Scheutzow
Samir B. Dahman
Robert S. Gilmore
Andrew J. Wilber
“I am aware of several physicians that will require legal counsel in the near future and will highly recommend your firm because of my personal experience.”
— Jim Haglund
Retired Hospital Administrator