Data Privacy Guidance & Cyber Security Legal Services
Cybersecurity and Internet Privacy Guidance
- Technology Counsel
- Data Breach Response Plans & Litigation
- Document Retention Policies and Procedures
- SOC, HITRUST and Other Certification Guidance
Privacy Compliance Attorneys
- GDPR & CCPA Compliance
- GLBA, FTC & PCI Compliance
- HIPAA & HITECH Compliance
Manage Your Risks
Helping Clients Navigate the complexities of Cyber Security
As data security incidents grow in frequency and severity, regulators around the world are implementing changes to laws or regulations. As a result, your data security obligations are evolving and changing constantly.
KJK’s cyber security attorneys are experienced in helping clients navigate the complexities of managing their cyber security and data privacy risks. Our team assists in responding to data security breaches, providing cybersecurity incident response planning and preparing document retention policies.
We also help clients negotiate data sharing and data access agreements, internal and external privacy policies, and highlight data security issues in insurance policies.
Cyber Security as a Company Culture.
We believe that data privacy must be built into the DNA of each of our clients. Our Cybersecurity, Data Breach & Privacy attorneys can assist clients in compliance with (and investigations related to) various data privacy laws and regulations, including reviewing contracts with third parties to ensure that they are in compliance with privacy regulations. This includes FTC privacy regulations, the “privacy by design” framework, FDA medical device privacy requirements and specific international and domestic data privacy regulations that control the collection, use, processing and transmission of certain kinds of data.
Data Privacy Laws & Regulations:
- Act as external “Data Protection Officer” for companies
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Create and review privacy policies and contractual privacy protection provisions
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA)
- Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (Minn. Stat. § 13)
- New York Consumer Privacy Act (NYPA)
- “Privacy by Design” review
- Privacy litigation and enforcement actions
Our Data Privacy Services
- Contract Review
- New Product/Service Compliance Review
- External CPO Services
Cyber Security Insurance Audits
A complete understanding of a company’s insurance program is key to maximizing protection against cyber risk. Our team will review your current policies of insurance and determine whether and to what extent you may need additional coverage.
Information Security & Privacy Compliance Attorneys
KJK’s Cybersecurity, Data Breach & Privacy attorneys can review contracts, agreements, policies and procedures, as well as software, hardware and medical devices (with appropriate partners) to determine whether a client is in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations, including those outlined below. Additionally, we advise clients on developments in the law regarding data security requirements.
Our Data Privacy Attorneys Give Guidance on the Following Information Security Laws:
- Cyber-insurance (data breach, e-commerce, fund transfer, insider fraud) review
- FDA Part 11 data security and electronic records requirements
- FERPA – Educational Records Privacy
- FFIEC Guidelines (banks and similar financial industry security regulations)
- FTC Act, Section 5 data privacy and data security requirements
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (financial services industry)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and HITCEH medical information privacy and security laws and regulations
- Standards for The Protection of Personal Information of Residents of the Commonwealth (201 CMR 17.00)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) contingent liability
- National Institutes of Standards Information Security Guidelines (NIST)
- NERC/FERC – Energy Regulations
- New York 23 NYCRR 500 (NY Banking regulations on cybersecurity)
- Payment Card Industry Digital Security Standards (PCI-DSS)
- SEC Cybersecurity Guidance compliance for publicly traded companies
- Third party contract review
- UCC 4A (reasonable security for funds transfer)
Cyber Security & Data Breach
Read Our Blog
Vulnerabilities in software and hardware are as common as weather changes in Northeast Ohio, and they aren’t going away any time soon. A few years ago, Intel announced vulnerabilities in virtually every computer processor produced, and its largest competitor, AMD, has...
On Aug. 11, 2022, the Federal Trade Commission announced a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding the collection, sharing and use of certain information which it refers to as “commercial surveillance data” and whether the use of that data constitutes a violation of...
Despite your best efforts, you have been hit by ransomware. You are locked out of your system, and you can provide no services to your customers, clients or patients. From a business perspective, you need to get your system unlocked so you can get back to work. But...
Cybersecurity & Data Breach
Mark D. Rasch
Alex M. Welsh