It’s late Friday afternoon and the COO of your company emails you with an urgent request to send him the HR spreadsheet you have been working on. Frantic, you immediately reply and send him the requested information. But it wasn’t the COO emailing you; it was a...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Michael is a thoughtful and experienced attorney who successfully represents individuals and businesses in commercial litigation. With over a decade of experience, Michael excels in various industries and handles a wide range of litigation matters including breach of contract, commercial tort, securities fraud, consumer protection, and employment and labor disputes.
Michael possesses comprehensive skills in all aspects of civil disputes, from initial case investigation and evaluation to drafting pleadings, conducting legal research, representing clients in trials and hearings, and negotiating settlements. Additionally, he provides guidance to businesses on compliance matters concerning state data security and privacy laws and regulations. With his extensive experience and commitment to achieving favorable outcomes, Michael is well-prepared to provide exceptional legal representation in complex commercial litigation cases.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from New York University College of Arts and Science, where he graduated cum laude with a double major in Politics and Jewish History and Civilization. He later earned his Juris Doctorate from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he served as an articles editor for the Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution.
Outside of his legal practice, Michael is deeply involved in the community through various initiatives. He co-founded MAKOM, an organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBTQ members of the Jewish Cleveland observant community by creating safe spaces, promoting acceptance, and fostering education and partnerships. He actively participates in the prestigious Wexner Heritage Program for Jewish learning and leadership training, addressing important community issues. Furthermore, Michael serves as a board member for the Anti-Defamation League, actively combating anti-Semitism, bias, and discrimination. In his leisure time, he enjoys gardening and gourmet cooking.
- Assisted in the defense of financial institutions and individuals in multiple FINRA arbitrations of investor consumer disputes alleging securities fraud, often resulting in the dismissal of all claims against the broker-dealers and financial advisors.
- Defended broker-dealers and financial advisors in FINRA arbitrations alleging breach of non-competition and non-solicitation contractual provisions.
- Assisted in the defense of broker-dealers and financial advisors in FINRA and SEC regulatory investigations and enforcement actions.
- Assisted in the defense of a large financial institution against statutory whistleblower retaliation claims in federal district court.
- Assisted in the defense of a commercial insurer in a coverage case involving claims for hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance costs in federal district court.
- Advised businesses on compliance with state data security and privacy laws and regulations.
- Defended a beverage company in a putative class action lawsuit alleging violations of state consumer protection law, which led to the plaintiff voluntarily withdrawing the claim.
- Second chair in patent infringement federal jury trial that found the client not liable for patent infringement.
- Assisted in the representation of a religious corporation in an internal corporate dispute in New York State Court, resulting in a total win for the client.
- Represented a computer manufacturer in New York State Court consumer claim trial resulting in the denial of all claims.
- Assisted in the defense of a multinational oil company in a class-action multidistrict litigation involving alleged violations of consumer protection laws related to the sale of motor fuel.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Cleveland Jewish News Difference Maker, 2019
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- New York
- S. District Courts for the Northern District Ohio
- Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts New York
- Sixth and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
- MAKOM, 2016 – Present
- Wexner Heritage Program, 2021 – Present
- Cleveland Cohort Member
- Anti-Defamation League, 2019 – Present
- Cleveland Regional Office Board Member
- The Dilley Project, Dec. 2018
- Volunteer Immigration Attorney
- Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, 2007 –
- Articles Editor
- Local Lawyers / Super Attorneys 2022, Cleveland Jewish News, Jan. 28, 2022
- 20 Clevelanders selected for Wexner Heritage Program cohort, Cleveland Jewish News, April 15, 2021
- 2019 Difference Makers: Michael Davis Hoenig, Cleveland Jewish News, Nov. 19, 2019
- Makom aims to make LGBTQ Jews feel at home, Cleveland Jewish News, Nov. 8, 2018
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Involuntary Forensic Examinations in eDiscovery, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, Nov. 2020
- Privacy & Data Security, co-author, Ohio Portion, Bloomberg Law, Jan. 2018