Imagine this unfortunate scenario: You log onto your Facebook account and you notice a friend request from someone you don’t recognize. You click their account and are horrified to discover that this account user has published a series of defamatory posts about you. ...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Ali is an Associate with KJK’s Student & Athlete Defense and Brand Enforcement groups, focusing primarily on reputation management through the removal of defamatory or negative internet content. She is an experienced litigator with an entrepreneurial spirit, utilizing her marketing and communications background to help clients – from students and professors to companies and executives – manage and protect their online reputations.
Acting as an advisor during some of the most challenging times in their lives, Ali supports students as they face educational barriers such as Title IX investigations and campus misconduct hearings. She also serves as a skilled advocate for families of students with disabilities, helping them navigate the complex processes that stand between them and the services their children deserve.
As a valuable member of the Student & Athlete Defense team, Ali serves clients nationwide. She curates sophisticated content removal strategies, including securing court orders, negotiating with web administrators, corresponding with original posters, search engine de-indexing and sending copyright notices. Students and professionals seek Ali’s representation to protect their career and reputation from negative publicity, harassment and attacks from known and unknown defamers. When working on a student conduct or juvenile matter, Ali can assist clients in having nude or other career threatening postings removed from popular sites and highly trafficked websites. Ali has a depth of experience combatting revenge porn and addressing the aftermath of hacked social media and cloud-based accounts.
She has experience negotiating with the owners of websites, news publications, publishing companies and social media sites to persuade them to remove defamatory, private or copyrighted material. She has removed sensitive or inappropriate content – including revenge porn – from Google, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, Yelp, RateMDs, and numerous other “shaming” websites that allow users to post negative content about individuals and businesses.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ali served as the founder and CEO of a successful digital marketing, brand management and advertising firm, where she managed a diverse portfolio of clients. Ali understands the devastating impact negative internet content can have on a business or individual, as well as the vulnerability felt by those impacted by a cyber–attack. Because of her unique mix of business, marketing and legal experience, she sees each case from all angles and delivers comprehensive representation.
In Ali’s spare time, she partners with Second Star Ohio and A Special Wish Foundation, granting wishes to children who have been diagnosed with life–threatening disorders.
- Attained 1-million-dollar judgment for clients defamed on Ripoff Report and subsequently secured removal of the Ripoff Report URLs from Google and Bing.
- Privately elicited the removal of two viral YouTube videos, a Medium.com article, and accompanying social media posts published by a prominent YouTuber with over 1 Million subscribers about a celebrity performer.
- Assisted former Playboy model in attaining ownership rights to images from a photoshoot and removed the images from the Internet.
- Investigated various Facebook and Instagram accounts defaming a company’s products and discovered that the publications were made by a competitor. Subsequently filed suit to seek damages.
- Secured the immediate removal of 984 URL’s depicting a young woman’s hacked intimate photos published without her consent.
- Assisted young woman in removing underage photos and assisted FBI in identifying threats to prosecute responsible parties. Facilitated the enacting of a “block” on pornography sites to prevent republication of content.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- A Special Wish Foundation, Volunteer, 2014 – Present
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Help! My kid is getting in trouble at school and with the law. What do I do? – State Support Team Region 2’s Virtual Transition Fair, April 29, 2021
- Removing Defamatory, Infringing and Negative Information from the Internet: Practical Guidance, Feb. 6, 2020
- Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2017
- Max I Korhman Public Interest Fellowship
- CALI Award: Copyright, Patent, and Trademark Law
- ABA Bloomberg BNA Award: Intellectual Property Law
- Ohio University, B.S., Communications, 2012