On Wednesday, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) put hundreds of companies on notice that they will face steep financial penalties if they are found to be promoting or soliciting fake product reviews. The FTC’s action comes long overdue, as both businesses and...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
She is an experienced litigator with an entrepreneurial spirit, utilizing her marketing and communications background to help her clients – from individuals and celebrities to companies and executives – manage and protect their online reputations.
Ali curates sophisticated content removal strategies, including identifying anonymous online attackers, securing court orders, negotiating with web administrators, corresponding with original posters, attaining search engine de-indexing and enforcing removals through intellectual property tools. Her experience in nuanced internet search techniques allows her to assist clients in addressing the aftermath of hacked social media and cloud-based accounts.
Specifically, Ali has experience negotiating and removing harmful and sensitive content – including revenge porn – from websites like Google, Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, Instagram and numerous other highly trafficked and “shaming” websites that allow users to post negative content about individuals and businesses. Additionally, Ali helps businesses and professionals identify the source of negative online reviews on review platforms like Google My Business, Yelp, RateMDs, Vitals, Healthgrades, RealSelf, Avvo and more.
Ali’s Internet Defamation and Content Removal practice frequently overlaps with KJK’s Student & Athlete Defense, eCommerce and Labor & Employment groups. When working on a student conduct, branding or employment matter involving the internet, Ali can assist clients in devising multi-pronged approaches that achieve multiple goals.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ali served as the founder and CEO of a successful digital marketing, brand management and advertising firm, where she managed a diverse portfolio of clients. Ali understands the devastating impact negative internet content can have on a business or individual, as well as the vulnerability felt by those impacted by cyber-attacks. Because of her unique mix of business, marketing, and legal experience, she is able to see cases from multiple angles and deliver comprehensive representation which can include the release of public statements.
Ali is an active member of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and is an avid volunteer for Second Star Ohio and A Special Wish Foundation.
- Attained 1-million-dollar judgment for clients defamed on Ripoff Report and subsequently secured removal of the Ripoff Report URLs from Google and Bing.
- Privately elicited the removal of two viral YouTube videos, a Medium.com article, and accompanying social media posts published by a prominent YouTuber with over 1 Million subscribers about a celebrity performer.
- Assisted former Playboy model in attaining ownership rights to images from a photoshoot and removed the images from the Internet.
- Investigated various Facebook and Instagram accounts defaming a company’s products and discovered that the publications were made by a competitor. Subsequently filed suit to seek damages.
- Secured the immediate removal of 984 URL’s depicting a young woman’s hacked intimate photos published without her consent.
- Assisted young woman in removing underage photos and assisted FBI in identifying threats to prosecute responsible parties. Facilitated the enacting of a “block” on pornography sites to prevent republication of content.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- A Special Wish Foundation, Volunteer, 2014 – Present
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Help! My kid is getting in trouble at school and with the law. What do I do? – State Support Team Region 2’s Virtual Transition Fair, April 29, 2021
- Removing Defamatory, Infringing and Negative Information from the Internet: Practical Guidance, Feb. 6, 2020
- Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2017
- Max I Korhman Public Interest Fellowship
- CALI Award: Copyright, Patent, and Trademark Law
- ABA Bloomberg BNA Award: Intellectual Property Law
- Ohio University, B.S., Communications, 2012