President Trump has repeatedly tweeted that his campaign and the Republican party will litigate the election outcome, and cases have already been filed. So far it doesn’t appear that we are on track to experience a second Bush v. Gore where the Supreme Court decides or impacts the outcome of the election.
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Over the 30-plus years of Brett’s legal career, he has counseled a diverse client base including individuals, owners of regulated and non-regulated companies, small entrepreneurial entities and large public corporations. He counts among his clients both broker-dealers and investment advisors. His areas of practice include regulatory matters and securities, and is Chair of KJK’s Litigation Group. Brett also holds a position on the firms Executive Committee.
Brett is chair of Meritas, an international network of highly vetted, independent law firms spanning 91 countries. Brett has helped KJK become one of the leading Meritas firms in the world, having served on the organization’s Membership Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
In addition to his service to clients in day-to-day matters, Brett is also a skilled litigator who has handled business-to-business commercial disputes and securities issues involving the Federal Courts, FINRA, the SEC and state securities regulators. Brett also represents clients in regulatory reviews and investigations of securities practices, business practices relating to consumer sales, and business planning and litigation involving the Ohio Alcoholic Beverages Franchise Act.
Brett’s approach is to assist businesses and individuals in maximizing their growth by limiting litigation and regulatory risk. He makes sure that the legal strategy he advises is always aligned with each client’s unique business goals. He also holds a position of leadership within the firm as a member of KJK’s Executive Committee and Chair of the Litigation Practice Group.
Outside of his work at KJK, Brett is civically involved in his home community of Shaker Heights, where four generations of his family have resided.
- Served as trial counsel in such cases as:
- two related trials involving disputes between owners of a broker-dealer; obtained injunctive relief against majority owners, a finding of defamation against them and a total dismissal of all claims against the firms’ clients
- a month-long, multi-party AAA dispute involving the sale by a Fortune 100 company of its federally regulated subsidiary
- a case involving three large nonprofits in an eight–figure FINRA arbitration in one of the first collateralized debt obligations cases to go to trial
- Obtained substantial settlement in a suit brought by former minority owner against majority owner alleging self-dealing and breach of fiduciary duty
- Served as counsel for a class in a seven-year long fraud litigation matter which included a recommended default judgment against another party due to their discovery abuses; class was repaid their entire loss
- Represented private foundation in trial against public university in dispute over grants
- Representing companies and individuals in numerous state and federal regulatory investigations involving consumer protection and securities laws
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Chair, 2021 – Present
- Executive Committee & Vice Chair, Board of Directors, 2018-2020
- Chairman, Quality Assurance Committee, 2018-2020
- Board of Directors, 2016-2018
- Membership Committee, 2014-2018
- Member, Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2016
- Chairman, Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2017
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2008-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- Illinois State Courts
- District of Columbia Courts
- Mandel JCC
- Executive Commitee, 2020-present
- Board of Directors, 2017
- Camp Wise, Advisory Board, 2013-2016 Strategic Planning Committee, 2015
- Positive Education Program, Board of Directors, 2008-2016, Executive Committee, member
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- “How to Protect Against Cybersecurity Threats in a Work-from-Home Environment,” Meritas White Paper, July 13, 2020
- Association of Corporate Counsel 2017 Annual Meeting, “Small Companies Facing Big Litigation,” Speaker, October 17, 2017
- Meritas 2017 Annual Meeting, “What Lobbyists Really Do and How They Do It,” Moderator, April 21, 2017
- “Creating Signed, Written Contracts Over the Telephone,” Connections Magazine, July 1, 2012