Without belaboring the point, there are many similarities between the COVID-19 pandemic and cybersecurity. We can take lessons from the response to the COVID pandemic and apply them to cybersecurity. 1. We Know It Is Coming For decades, public health planners have...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Over the 25-plus years of Brett’s legal career, he has counseled a diverse client base including individuals, owners of regulated and non-regulated companies, small entrepreneurial entities and large public corporations. He counts among his clients both broker-dealers and investment advisors. His areas of practice include regulatory matters and securities.
In addition to his service to clients in day-to-day matters, Brett is also a skilled litigator who has handled business-to-business commercial disputes and securities issues involving the Federal Courts, FINRA, the SEC and state securities regulators. Brett also represents clients in regulatory reviews and investigations of securities practices, business practices relating to consumer sales, and business planning and litigation involving the Ohio Alcoholic Beverages Franchise Act.
Brett’s approach is to assist businesses and individuals in maximizing their growth by limiting litigation and regulatory risk. He makes sure that the legal strategy he advises is always aligned with each client’s unique business goals. He also holds a position of leadership within the firm as a member of KJK’s Executive Committee and Chair of the Litigation Practice Group.
Outside of his work at KJK, Brett is civically involved in his home community of Shaker Heights, where four generations of his family have resided.
- Served as trial counsel in such cases as:
- two related trials involving disputes between owners of a broker-dealer; obtained injunctive relief against majority owners, a finding of defamation against them and a total dismissal of all claims against the firms’ clients
- a month-long, multi-party AAA dispute involving the sale by a Fortune 100 company of its federally regulated subsidiary
- a case involving three large nonprofits in an eight–figure FINRA arbitration in one of the first collateralized debt obligations cases to go to trial
- Obtained substantial settlement in a suit brought by former minority owner against majority owner alleging self-dealing and breach of fiduciary duty
- Served as counsel for a class in a seven-year long fraud litigation matter which included a recommended default judgment against another party due to their discovery abuses; class was repaid their entire loss
- Representing companies and individuals in numerous state and federal regulatory investigations involving consumer protection and securities laws
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Board of Directors, 2016 – 2018
- Membership Committee, 2014 – Present
- Member, Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2016
- Chairman, Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2017
- Member, Executive Committee, 2018
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, 2018
- Chairman, Quality Assurance Committee, 2018
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2008-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- Illinois State Courts
- District of Columbia Courts
- Mandel JCC
- Executive Committee, Member, 2020
- Board of Directors, 2017
- Camp Wise, Advisory Board, 2013-2016, Strategic Planning Committee, 2015
- Positive Education Program, Board of Directors, 2008-2016, Member Executive Committee
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- “How to Protect Against Cybersecurity Threats in a Work-from-Home Environment,” Meritas White Paper, July 13, 2020
- Association of Corporate Counsel 2017 Annual Meeting, “Small Companies Facing Big Litigation,” Speaker, October 17, 2017
- Meritas 2017 Annual Meeting, “What Lobbyists Really Do and How They Do It,” Moderator, April 21, 2017
- “Creating Signed, Written Contracts Over the Telephone,” Connections Magazine, July 1, 2012