Employers in Ohio may have finally become comfortable with Ohio’s concealed carry firearms law and revised their handbooks to incorporate new policies on how they would address their employee’s rights to carry concealed firearms. However, with Governor DeWine’s...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Maribeth Meluch is an experienced business law attorney with a unique and diverse skillset. She is experienced in intellectual property and employment law and provides guidance and representation to businesses on a wide range of legal issues, including IP, employment, litigation, wage and hour, OSHA and other regulatory matters.
Maribeth assists her clients in protecting their valuable and sensitive business assets by protecting their intellectual property rights through filings on copyrights, trademark and patents, and enforcing those rights through intellectual property litigation, negotiating of licensing agreements and drafting contracts to protect confidentiality of sensitive information, including non-competes and other agreements, as well as to restrict competition by employees and contractors.
Maribeth has also created a niche practice in equine law after adopting two retired Thoroughbred racehorses, one of which is the great grandson of Triple Crown Winner Affirmed. She assists equine businesses with issues unique to horses and the horse industry from customized boarding, leasing and other agreements, application of federal and state regulations, to representing plaintiffs and defendants in lawsuits involving horse-related and business issues.
Prior to practicing law, Maribeth conducted classified research in molecular biology for the renowned Battelle Memorial Institute. As a former microbiologist, Maribeth has unique knowledge when it comes to cases involving mold in construction or residential buildings, food toxicity cases, COVID and more. She also owned a beer and wine drive-thru and is familiar with the complex regulatory structure of Ohio’s liquor laws.
An avid traveler, Maribeth has been to more than 30 countries and 40 states, including Kenya, where she took a safari on horseback. In her spare time, she and her husband aspire to be gentleman farmers and maintain the Black Dog Farm, its assortment of farm animals, bees (ask Maribeth for a jar of her fresh local honey!) and two incorrigible Boxers.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2012-2013, 2015-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2015-2021, 2023; Commercial Litigation 2020-2021, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2019, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated Attorney
- OSBA Community Service Award for Lawyers under 40 for the Fifth District, 1996
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Delaware Bar Association
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Delaware County’s Public Defender Commission, 2022-present
- Big Walnut Galena Rotary Club Commerce
- President of the Board, 1996-present
- Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce, 1996-present
- Board of Directors, 1996-2002, 2014-2020, 2022-2028, 2022-present
- Past President of the Board, 2001
- Kingston Township Board of Zoning Appeals
- Ohio State Bar Association, Board of Directors, 1998-2001
- Sunbury Big Walnut Chamber of Commerce, 2018-present
- President of the Board, 2021-present
- “Meluch named to Public Defender Commission” The Delaware Gazette, Aug. 31, 2022
- “What are your rights when it comes to religious, medical vaccine exemptions?” 10TV, Sept. 3, 2021
- “When Employees Refuse to Return to Work Due to COVID-19,” QSR Magazine, June 2020
- “Guardant Health CEO Deleted Email Evidence After Lawsuit Deposition,” GenomeWeb, Jan. 6, 2020
- “Former Delaware County deputy loses wrongful termination lawsuit,” Columbus Dispatch, Sept. 27, 2017
- “Condensed Handbooks, Videos Can Help Train Seasonal Employees, Their Managers,” Society for Human Resources Management, Nov. 10, 2016
- “Company Must Pay $3M for Deleting E-Mails,” Society for Human Resources Management, Oct. 18, 2016
- “People to Know: Maribeth Meluch,” Columbus Business First, Nov. 21, 2014
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Ohio Civil Service Law, 1992
- HR Six Pack, Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce
- Patent Licensing Agreements, The Inventors Network, January 10, 2016
- B.E.D. and Breakfast Series Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce
- First Fridays Seminar Series Sunbury Area Chamber
- National Business Institute