As chair of KJK’s Tax Practice Group, Kevin works with closely held businesses in a wide range of sectors, including manufacturing, transportation, mining and real estate in matters related to tax and wealth planning. He also works with individuals on estate planning, succession and tax planning.
Kevin is both a practicing attorney and a certified public accountant, bringing nearly 40 years of experience in both disciplines to his client service. As a result of that unique blend of legal and accounting expertise, Kevin can deliver comprehensive tax-related counsel as well as creative thinking to solve clients’ most complex financial challenges.
Kevin is admitted to represent clients before the U.S. Tax Court in addition to state and federal courts. He has served in many leadership positions at KJK over his tenure, including his current position on the firm’s Executive Committee and his former role as Managing Partner from 1994-1999.
“I have a unique ability to take complex fact patterns and distill them down in a way that’s understandable, then help clients figure out the best way forward.” – Kevin O’Connor
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University, J.D., 1977
- Georgetown University, B.S. in Accounting, 1972
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- “Client Alert: New Supreme Court Decision Upholds E-Commerce Tax Law,” June 2018
- “2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Summary of Domestic Business and Individual Provisions,” Dec. 28, 2017
- “Special Alert: Recent Proposed Treasury Regulations on Partnership Audits,” Sept. 15, 2017
- “Special Alert: Ohio Supreme Court Upholds Application of Ohio Business Tax on Out-of-State Online Retailer Businesses Having No Physical Presence in Ohio,” Nov. 23, 2016
- “Non-Profit Board Member Education Program,” Vantage Point 360, Oct. 6, 2016
- Counseling nonprofit clients regarding organization, application for exempt status, private benefit and private inurement and employment taxes
- Creating partnerships relating to tax issues such as contributions and distributions, profit, loss and tax allocations, allocation of partnership liabilities, disguised sales and mixing bowl transactions, capital account maintenance rules, restructuring and terminations
- Advising venture capital and investment funds regarding fund structure and tax consequences
- Counseling new entities regarding choice of entity structuring, with extensive experience in advising C corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, joint ventures, entities that have elected S status or other structures
- Assisting closely held companies with business succession planning