The Clean Water Act and Section 401 In 1948, Congress passed the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (FWPCA) as the first rendition of a law intended to address growing pollution of American waters. By 1972, increased awareness of severe water pollution issues and...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
As Chair of KJK’s Real Estate Practice Group, Matthew leads a team with diverse expertise in real estate law that handles more than $1 billion in deals for clients annually. Matt himself is a jack-of-all-trades attorney with experience in virtually all real estate-related matters: a rarity among real estate attorneys today.
Matt Viola brings a practical and efficient approach to his work for clients, which have included developers of commercial, retail, residential, multi-family, office and industrial properties. He is skilled in handling all aspects of real estate transactions, including negotiation, acquisition, construction, disposition, zoning, financing, sale, leasebacks and joint venture work.
His expertise also encompasses drafting and negotiating real estate contracts that include purchase agreements, leases, easements, construction documents, AIA forms, homeowner association (HOA) declarations and related documents. He works extensively with clients to study the feasibility of real estate projects, including reviewing construction issues, title commitments, surveys and application of governmental regulations.
Outside of KJK, Matt is a youth baseball coach and league commissioner and sits on the board of S.U.C.C.E.S.S. for Autism, a nonprofit organization that assists families with the financial burdens of caring for a child with autism.
- Represented several clients on the acquisition, development and sale of thousands of single-family home sites and apartment buildings around Ohio
- Served as counsel to a large insurance company regarding the development of hundreds of service centers across the United States
- Negotiated a design/build agreement and various construction contracts for an Ohio hospital’s extensive expansion
- Served as counsel on the acquisition and development of more than 200 condominium units and 1,000 apartment units in Chattanooga, Tenn.; Peoria, Ariz; Tampa, Fla.; and Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Represented a client on the acquisition and development of more than 2,000,000 square feet of shopping centers in Ohio, Illinois and Virginia
- Served as counsel to a developer involving various build-to-suit programs for more than 40 auto-body centers and 50 pharmacy retail stores
- Served as one of the lead attorneys on the development of a practice facility for a professional basketball team
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2018-2022
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2009
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2022
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- Bay Men’s Club Youth Baseball League, Commissioner
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. for Autism, Board Member
- St. Raphael Catholic Church, Council Member