In July, we wrote about how President Biden’s Green Book had proposed limitations on IRS Section 1031 Exchanges. That focus may have changed recently. It is anyone’s guess which policies from President Biden’s new tax plan will survive Congress, but on September 13,...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
With more than 30 years of experience in real estate law, Steve is valued by his clients for his skill in working on real estate development and ownership from start to finish, representing clients in the retail, office, hospitality, restaurant, industrial and commercial sectors.
Steve is well-versed in real estate development and finance; acquisition of undeveloped land or existing buildings; dispositions and exchanges; all types of leasing and ground leasing; design and construction contracting; tax increment financing; private placement memoranda; formation of public-private partnerships; joint ventures; debt restructuring and workouts; community development authority; and property management and operations.
That depth of experience and his pragmatic approach helps Steve to take proactive steps to avoid potential challenges and to identify cost-effective solutions for those that do arise.
Outside of his role at KJK, Steve is an avid woodworker whose handcrafted furniture is displayed in friends’ homes across the country. During warm months, Steve can also be found at car shows throughout Northeast Ohio alongside his restored 1961 Chevrolet Impala convertible.
- Representing clients in the construction and financing of shopping centers, apartment buildings, condominiums and mixed-use developments in nearly 10 states
- Working on the acquisition and financing for over 150 single-tenant retail and commercial sites in 17 states
- Handling all aspects of the development of a music museum, including State, County and Federal legislation, County and Port Authority Bond financing, ground leasing and submerged land leasing, Corps of Engineers and FAA permitting, and architects and construction contracts
- Representing a Northeast Ohio developer in site acquisition, leasing, construction, and financing of multiple store locations for a major national drug store chain
- Handling multi-state, multi-property 1031 transactions
- Working on contracts for hotel construction with bond and conventional financing
- Serving as lead counsel for such acquisitions as:
- $50 million 1031 acquisition of Alabama apartments, with Fannie Mae financing
- $38 million bond financing and construction loan for a new hotel on the campus of a nationally-recognized medical center located in Cleveland
- $36 million sale of 6 locations for an Illinois-based drug retailing chain in 4 states
- $22 million sale of a hotel in Miramar, Florida
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence (16th year)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2008-2022
- Leading Lawyers of Northeast Ohio, 2008-2016
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2009
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- Crossroads Men’s Crisis Center, Volunteer Server
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Northwestern University, B.A., Economics and Political Science, 1980