Over her 37 years in practice – 36 of which have been at KJK, Sarah has earned a reputation as a domestic relations attorney who serves clients compassionately and effectively.
Her expertise in family law includes a broad range of issues in divorce and dissolution of marriage proceedings including valuing businesses and business interests, dividing retirement assets, determining support and designing and parenting plans. She is also experienced in post-divorce matters such as the modification and enforcement of support and parenting agreements and relocation. Her legal work for same-sex couples includes structuring parental rights agreements and dissolving unions and marriages.
Sarah’s approach is to explore whether certain dispute resolution strategies can achieve her clients’ goals through alternatives to litigation, but she also has extensive experience with complex litigation for businesses and families. She has advanced training in interest-based negotiation processes of Cooperative and Collaborative Law and is a qualified divorce mediator.
Sarah is regarded by her clients as an attorney who is compassionate but also a tough competitor, a characteristic she demonstrated outside her legal work as an ice hockey player for twenty years. She is married with one grown son.
“I have a unique capacity to listen with compassion to the emotional part of ending a marriage or relationship. My clients know that I really care about them. I strive to not just get them through the process but make sure they are financially and emotionally stable at the end.” – Sarah J. Gabinet
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Case Western Reserve University Law Review
- Indiana University, M.S., Applied Linguistics, 1977
- Oberlin College, B.A., English and Judaic Studies, 1975
- Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court, Neutral Evaluation Day, Volunteer Coordinator and Mediator
- Temple Tifereth Israel, committee chair
- The Center for Principled Family Advocacy, trustee and past president
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association, past chair, Judicial Selection Committee
- Ohio State Courts
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2005-2019
- Top 50 Women Ohio Super Lawyers, 2009, 2012, 2016-2018
- Top 25 Women Super Lawyers in Cleveland, 2009, 2012, 2016-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2015-2018, Family Law, 2018
- Frequent presenter on domestic relations to the National Business Institute and other local and national conferences
- Civil Discovery Practice In Ohio Handbook, chapter author, 1995
- Cleveland Jewish News, Jan. 26, 2017