The pandemic has undoubtedly affected residents of nursing homes. For over a year now residents have had very limited visitation that has led to loneliness, depression and cognitive decline. Residents and their families or loved ones have asked for relaxed...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Erika brings unique experience to KJK’s Wealth & Estate Planning team, with a particular focus on Elder Law, as well as long-term care, Medicaid and special needs planning. She is passionate about advocating for individuals and families who cannot do so for themselves, largely due to her own personal experience with aging and illness in her family.
Prior to joining KJK, Erika ran a solo practice. Her ten-year background in law includes probate and business advisory services, as well as litigation related to Intellectual Property and investigations into corporate compliance. She also managed governmental, regulatory and antitrust investigations of financial services institutions, technology companies and construction companies.
Erika holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology from the University of Massachusetts Amherst and a Juris Doctorate from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School. She is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan and Ohio State Bar Associations, as well as the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys. Additionally, Erika is a member of Elderly Advocates, which provides advocacy and outreach for seniors and their families dealing with health care issues or long-term care, and volunteers with Give! Chagrin Valley Women’s League.
Outside of her law practice, Erika enjoys exploring the outdoors with her family on weekends and skiing in the winter. A resident of Chagrin Falls, Erika is fluent in Latvian and an active member of Cleveland’s Latvian community.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Cleveland
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), National and Ohio
- Northeast Ohio Elder Law Attorneys
- CLE-East Senior Network
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2017-19, 2021
- Ladderdown Cleveland Graduate 2021 (Leadership, Business Development, and Mentoring for Women Lawyers)
- National Association of Women Business Owners Cleveland Rising Star Award
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Massachusetts (2009)
- Ohio (2012)
- US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- National Association of Women Business Owners Cleveland Board Member, 2021
- National Association of Women Business Owners Cleveland Bylaws Committee Member, 2020-2021
- Garezers Latvian Center, Committee for Planned Giving Initiatives
- Give! Chagrin Valley Women’s League
- American Latvian Youth Association. Board of Directors, 2009-2011
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst, B.A., Psychology, 2005
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D., 2009