Cary brings unique experience to the firm as a partner in KJK’s Corporate, Securities, Private Equity, and Technology practice groups.
She has spent her career counseling executives and owners in launching and profitably growing their companies. For public companies, Cary has prepared shareholder reports, proxies, and corporate governance documents, lead contract strategies and negotiations, secured cost savings and competitive agreements, and assisted in the achievement of multi-state and federal regulatory compliance. For high-growth start-ups and closely held companies, she has assisted founders, investors and other stakeholders with matters related to domicile selection and entity formation, fund formation, fundraising), securities compliance, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. Cary’s experience comes from a wide range of clients with unique needs, including: financial services companies, software companies, real estate developers, medical marijuana entrepreneurs, breweries, restaurants and bars, registered broker-dealers and investment advisors, healthcare providers, manufacturers and high net worth individuals.
Cary’s leadership also extends beyond KJK, including serving as a board member for the Great Lakes Science Center. In her spare time, she enjoys golf, cycling, cooking, design and craft beer. Cary has traveled across the globe to Australia, Italy, and France, and extensively within the United States to places like Big Sur, the Great Smoky Mountains, and Nantucket. She has proudly called the City of Cleveland home since 2005 and is committed to its revitalization.
“2019 Unicorn Review: Girlbosses on the Rise,” June 11, 2019
- Case Western Reserve, Weatherhead School of Management, Master of Science in Management-Finance, 2016
- 100% merit based scholarship
- Second Place, CWRU internal ACG Case Competition, Northeast Ohio ACG Cup participant
- Wall Street Prep, Financial Modeling 3-Day Boot Camp, March 2016
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2005
- The Ohio State University, B.A., Political Science, 2001
- French Minor
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- CIPP/US Certification, 2014-2015
- State of Ohio
- Bar Admission, 2005
- Great Lakes Science Center, board member, 2017-present
- Friends of Breakthrough School, board member, 2013-2016
- Volunteer Relations Committee, former chair, Leadership Development Committee
- TechCorps Northeast Ohio, Regional Steering Committee, 2014-2015
- Super Breakthrough Friends, young professionals group leader, 2013-2016
- Entrepreneurship Preparatory School, tutor, 2012-2014
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member and 3Rs program instructor, 2006-2008
- Counsels entrepreneurs, start-ups and closely held companies on securities, entity formation, M&A, corporate governance and general corporate and commercial matters.
- Advises real estate developers in joint ventures on entity formation and general corporate and securities compliance considerations, including drafting complex operating agreements, advising on corporate governance obligations and preparing subscription documentation and blue sky and federal form filings.
- Provides outside counsel and transactional guidance to breweries, restaurants and bars, including a production brewery, a winemaker, and a franchise restaurant business.
- Drafts operating agreements, commercial agreements, contribution agreements, purchase agreements, promissory notes and research memoranda to support breweries, restaurants and bars.
- Advises registered broker-dealers and investment advisers on securities compliance obligations and transactional needs.
- Advises high-growth tech and other start-ups on entity selection and formation, corporate governance and capital raising (financing rounds from pre-Seed to Series A and beyond), securities compliance (federal and blue sky) and commercial agreements.
- Assesses existing processes and systems to identify opportunities for optimization and improvement, communicating and collaborating with managers across organizations.
- Ohio Business College, adjunct instructor, 2013-2014
- Achieved 90% and above in student satisfaction