Samir Dahman discusses the Alston case with 97.1 The Fan: Listen Here. The NCAA lost 9-0 against college athletes at the U.S. Supreme Court Monday in a predictable outcome given the one-sided nature of the oral argument. In short, the High Court held that NCAA...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Samir solves issues for businesses, owners, and individuals concerning commercial litigation, business law, estate planning, and employment. As Partner in Charge of the Firm’s Columbus office, he leads a team of skilled partners, associates, and staff. Samir provides exceptional, client-focused legal services and is known for taking a sincere and serious approach to his clients’ matters.
As a testament to his client-focused approach, Samir was selected as one of the Top 5 Lawyers in Columbus and Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio, and he received Columbus Business First’s prestigious “Forty Under 40” award. Samir holds an AV® Preeminent rating from his colleagues and was listed as one of the “Top Lawyers” in Columbus by Columbus CEO Magazine in 2014 and 2015. Every year since 2012, he has been selected to the Super Lawyers or Rising Stars lists by Super Lawyer magazine, a distinction reserved for no more than the top 5% of lawyers in a state.
He was an adjunct professor at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law where he taught concepts in drafting and negotiating purchase agreements for privately held companies.
Samir’s litigation practice encompasses multi-jurisdictional, complex commercial disputes, such as his role as lead counsel in the successful resolution of a $6.3 million combined breach of a sales representative agreement and construction dispute pending in U.S., Canadian, and Mexican federal courts. Samir is well-versed in partnership and closely-held company shareholder, FLSA, harassment, class-action, trade secret, and competition litigation.
Samir also assists families and professionals in Ohio and Michigan in establishing estate plans, including trusts, wills, powers of attorney, foreign beneficiaries and asset protection trusts. And for privately held businesses, Samir provides services related to entity formation, customer and vendor contracts, executive and employment agreements, and employment and discrimination lawsuits.
During law school, Samir served as an extern for Magistrate Judge Mark R. Abel of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Active in his community, Samir and his wife founded The Berkshire Triathlon, a 501(c)(3) charity, which has raised over $165,000 for sick children in Central Ohio benefiting Flying Horse Farms, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in a $20+ million real estate partnership dispute pending in multiple jurisdictions, which facilitated a favorable resolution, providing stability and security and allowing the partnership’s operations to thrive free and clear of outside interference.
- Lead counsel in successful representation of Chris Spielman in a putative name, image, and likeness class action against IMG College and the Ohio State University in federal court.
- Lead counsel in two-week jury trial defending family business and its CEO against sexual harassment claims by six plaintiffs, facing liability of more than $3 million; obtained an outcome essentially awarding one plaintiff just $16,000.
- Obtained $5.6 million for squeezed-out partner who did not even have a written partnership agreement in an alleged un-named entity and who had provided prior sworn statements that he was not a partner with Defendants.
- Prevailed in bet-the-company litigation by obtaining complete defense verdict following preliminary injunction in Federal Court on behalf of small business accused of trademark, trade dress, and copyright infringement; breach of contract; misappropriation of trade secrets; Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act, unfair competition, tortious interference with business, and unjust enrichment
- Successfully resolved $6.3 million combined breach of sales representative agreement and construction dispute pending in U.S., Canadian and Mexican federal courts
- Prevailed in bench trial in $3.8 million breach of settlement agreement action against national bank, and was awarded $120,000 in legal fees
- Settled $2.6 million lawsuit filed in federal court by one of the largest law firms in the Midwest for violations of trade secret, non-compete, and tortious interference laws
- Achieved successful resolution of $2.4 million joint venture dispute pending in multiple jurisdictions
- Prevailed at week-long jury trial on behalf of business by obtaining $42,000 in breach of contract action, while obtaining directed verdict on adversary’s fraud and conversion claims and a verdict throwing out adversary’s $650,000 breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation claims
- Serves as outside general counsel to a number of companies, from manufacturers and distributors to marketing and international software companies
- Established estate plans for numerous families in Ohio and Michigan, including revocable trusts, wills, powers of attorney, foreign beneficiaries and guardians, and other supporting documents
- Organized, merged, acquired, restructured, and divested dozens of privately-held companies in the technology, outsourcing, marketing, medical, manufacturing and services industries
- Obtained complete return of investor’s equity in excess of $190,000 in closely held investment partnership dispute
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Federal Bar Association
- Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2020-’21
- Leadership Upper Arlington Distinguished Alumni Award, 2017
- “Forty Under 40,” Columbus Business First, 2015
- Top 5: 2015 Columbus Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2015 Columbus Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers 2014-21
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars 2012 – 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- The Founders Entrepreneurial Spirit Award for Significant and Lasting Contribution to the Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal, 2007
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Ohio State Courts
- Michigan State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- City of Upper Arlington Leadership Program, Graduate
- Flying Horse Farms, Vice Chair, Board of Directors
- Leadership Columbus Graduate, 2019
- Ohio State University Honors & Scholars Program External Advisory Committee, Past Advisory Board Member
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, Mentor
- The Berkshire Triathlon benefiting Flying Horse Farms, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and the Ronald McDonald House, Co-founder and Past-President
- Upper Arlington Junior High and J.V. Hockey Teams, Past Coach
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Testify before the Michigan House of Representatives in support of pending legislation – HB 5217 and 5218 – that would provide college-athlete NIL (name, image, and likeness) rights, Jan. 23, 2020
- “To the Victor Go the Spoils (and the Calzones),” Oct. 23, 2017
- National Business Institute, Clarifying Procedures in Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately-Held Companies, Jun. 27, 2017
- Allied Universal, Workplace Violence: Planning & Prevention, May 10, 2017
- Upper Arlington High School Cum Laude Society Induction, Mar. 26, 2017
- “Estate Planning for Small Business Owners,” Nov. 18, 2016
- “The Resilient Professional: Learning How to Rebound, Adapt & Thrive.” Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Professionalism, Oct. 21, 2016
- “Section 2704 Proposed Changes,” Sept. 16, 2016
- “The Critical Role of Subpoenas in Litigation,” Aug. 4, 2016
- “Preparing the Leaders of Tomorrow’s Changing the Legal Profession,” Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Professionalism, Nov. 14, 2014
- “LLCs: From Formation to Special Uses,” National Business Institute, Sept. 30, 2013
- “Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z,” National Business Institute, Mar. 4, 2013
- “Avoiding the ‘Friday to Monday Law’: FMLA Best Practices,” Mar. 23, 2010
- “Protecting Your IP Rights in China: An Overview of the Process,” Entrepreneurial Business Law Journal, 2006