Introduction Estate planning is a lot like putting together a puzzle. The client provides you with their box lid showing what they want the ultimate result of their plan to look like. Then, estate planners are tasked to identify and gather the various pieces and put...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Tim focuses his practice on guiding individuals and families in estate planning, business succession, and securing the financial well-being of future generations. He devises and implements multifaceted strategies for trust and estate planning to protect the assets of families and individuals. Tim employs various tax and gifting strategies, utilizing a range of trust types. Additionally, he advises executors, trustees, and agents, assisting them in understanding their fiduciary duties and obligations through the processes of trust administration and estate administration. Tim is published by Thomson Reuters/Westlaw on matters of estate planning in the Probate Law Journal of Ohio and has presented on estate planning matters before the Ohio State and Columbus Bar Associations.
Complementing his private wealth succession, trust, and estate administration practice, Tim possesses a wealth of experience counseling clients in the area of corporate, tax, real estate and civil litigation matters. His balanced business perspective benefits clients and colleagues alike.
Tim is holds active licenses in Ohio and the Southern District of Ohio, as well as Colorado and the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. He is also licensed to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
A passionate advocate in the community, Tim currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Contemporary American Theatre Company and was previously involved with the Human Rights Campaign in Columbus. Prior to returning to Ohio, Tim lived in Colorado where he was involved on numerous boards focused on education, inpatient treatment, and economic development.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Charitable Gift Planners of Central Ohio
- Colorado Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- National LGBTQ+ Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Leadership Columbus, 2022
- Contemporary Theatre of Ohio, Board of Directors, 2022 – present
- Human Rights Campaign 2019 – 2022
- Political Action and Community Engagement Committee Co-Chair
- Gala Dinner Co-Chair
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Estate Planning for LGBTQ+ Clients in a Season of New Uncertainty, Thomson Reuters – Westlaw – Probate Law Journal of Ohio (2022)
- IRS Offers Important Guidance on Deductions for Trusts + Estates (2020)
- When a Gift Can Cause More Harm than Good: Planning for Those with Special Needs (2015)
- Adult Children as Fiduciaries: A Word of Caution (2015)
- Estate Considerations for Same-Sex Couples, Columbus Bar Association (2023)
- Estate Planning for LGBTQ+ Clients in a Season of New Uncertainty, Ohio Bar Association (2022)