As chair of KJK’s Creditors’ Rights & Insolvency Practice Group, John is experienced in representing court-appointed receivers, overseeing bankruptcy litigation and restructuring, while also representing clients in a wide variety of commercial litigation. John has particular skill in handling receiverships in cases of liquidation of distressed real estate and businesses.
John is valued by his clients for his collaborative approach and his accessibility during what can often be complex and long-term cases. In his general litigation practice, John has represented corporations and individuals in sectors as wide-ranging as construction, steel, manufacturing, insurance and real estate.
Although a significant portion of John’s practice is focused on commercial litigation, he most enjoys the personal connection he is able to build with small and medium-sized business owners. He serves as outside general counsel to businesses ranging from five to 200 employees, providing day-to-day counsel on issues of risk management, corporate structure, intellectual property, employment issues, banking issues, business succession and wealth planning.
John still maintains connections in the Canton area where he began his career, and has developed a regional practice serving clients in the Akron/Canton area and throughout Northeast Ohio. He is active in his home community of Hudson, where he and his wife are raising two young daughters. He is a board member of the Hudson Community Foundation and of the Hudson Chamber of Commerce.
“Our firm is unique in that it is well-positioned to provide sophisticated, high-level legal services to large or publicly traded companies, but we are nimble enough to provide counsel to small and medium-sized businesses. The part of my practice I most enjoy is working with business owners to understand their everyday issues and concerns, so I can help them achieve their goals.” – John P. Archer
- The Ohio State University College of Law, J.D., 2001
- Denison University, B.A., 1998, magna cum laude
- Seton Catholic School, member, Board of Directors
- Hudson Chamber of Commerce, member, Board of Directors, and vice chairman, Executive Committee
- Hudson Community Foundation, member, Board of Directors
- The Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges, former volunteer
- Rotary Club of Hudson, former member
- B to B Connect
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- Stark County Bar Association, former member
- Summit County Bar Association, former member
- Turnaround Management Association, a nonprofit association dedicated to corporate renewal
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2007, 2010
“John is an invaluable part of our team. He is always there when we need him and his guidance allows us to make effective and impactful decisions that propel our business forward.”
– Brendan Thompson – Precision Thermoplastic Components Inc.
- Served as a Chapter 7 Trustee in the management and litigation of more than 100 adversary proceedings for fraudulent transfer and preference claims arising from a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme
- Aided a Chapter 11 Trustee in the administration and liquidation of a significant real estate portfolio
- Represented court-appointed Receiver in the management, foreclosure and related litigation of a retail “big box” shopping center
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance agent and his company in the defense of fraud and negligent misrepresentation claims relative to a §419A collectively bargained employee welfare benefit plan
- Obtained summary judgment for distribution company for civil theft causes of actions stemming from accounting error
- Successfully represented a manufacturer in the litigation of molder’s lien rights and related repossession and sale of plastic injection molding equipment
- Successfully represented a steel fabricator in litigation of commercial leases and industrial construction contracts
- Successfully defended homebuilders in defense of numerous construction defect cases
- Negotiated successful settlement on behalf of commercial real estate owners in alleged breach of contract litigation
- Provide counsel to beneficiaries of both grantor and irrevocable non-grantor lifetime trusts as to their rights, entitlements, tax liabilities and obligations, while also assisting with wealth planning and litigation issues
- Numerous representations of creditors in §523 nondischargeability actions in bankruptcy court
“Ignoring California labeling rules could be costly,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, Oct. 16, 2017