In a 6-3 opinion, the high court struck a major blow to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (the EPA), ruling the EPA cannot provide states with the right to issue regulations reducing the amount of carbon dioxide emissions from existing power plants....
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Derek Hartman is a skilled attorney who brings over a decade of experience to the firm’s Litigation team. Over the course of his career, Derek has represented both individuals and businesses of all sizes, including small businesses and Fortune 500 companies, through every phase of civil litigation. He has also counseled clients in arbitrations and mediations, both private and court ordered. Derek previously owned and operated his own law firm where, besides servicing his clients, Derek managed day-to-day operations. He is passionate about using his skills and energy to apply the rule of law to further the interests of his clients and community.
Derek holds a dual Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and paralegal studies from Kent State University, where he graduated summa cum laude, and earned his Juris Doctorate from the University of Akron School of Law. He is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, as well as the Akron and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations.
An avid Cleveland sports fan, Derek is a Browns season ticket holder and enjoys golfing, skiing and spending time with his fiancée and their dog, Chloe and cat, Chance.
- Represented original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in CERCLA litigation involving E-Waste facility in Ohio with potential liabilities in the tens of millions of dollars.
- Represented one of the “big four” automobile manufacturers in defending claims for lemon law, breach of warranty (state and federal) and violations of the Consumer Sales Practices Act in courts throughout the entire State of Ohio.
- Represented one of the major petroleum corporations in defending premises liability claims.
- Successfully defended claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duties and a judicial partition of real estate seeking $700,000 in damages by asserting counterclaims which resulted in a near six-figure settlement for the Defendant.
- Represented a prominent foreign real estate investor in litigation which arose from a real estate broker’s failure to properly maintain funds in a trust account.
- Represented a manufacturing client in defending a federal FLSA collective action which resulted in a favorable settlement prior to class certification.
- Represented clients in defense of adverse possession claim concerning property and littoral rights involving land which abuts the shore of Lake Erie.
- Represented numerous businesses in commercial litigation with claims involving breach of contract, product liability, and breach of express and implied warranties.
- Conducted several bench trails on landlord-tenant rights including, but not limited to, residential and commercial evictions and damages hearings.
- Prosecuted and defended dozens of depositions.
- Drafted numerous pleadings and motions (including, but not limited to, dispositive motions, motions to strike and motions to compel) and participated in several oral arguments.
- Represented investment advisors in defending a multitude of claims that arise from violations of the Ohio Securities Act with eight-figure exposure.
- Represent notable manufacturer of auto accessories in pursuing litigation in the federal court for the purpose of protecting its intellectual property rights against infringers, both domestic and abroad.
- Represents large northeastern Ohio accounting firm in collection actions.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Futures Committee, 2016
- Akron Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2019, 2022-2023
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The Steak Club Foundation, 2017-2019
- Board of Directors, 2019
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Hackers Beware: Recent Litigation Intended to Bolster Cybersecurity (2020)
- DRI: For the Defense
- Mitigating the Risk of Collateral Attack to A Stipulated Protective Order Using the Opioid MDL As A Case Study (2019)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal
- Report of the Futures Commission (2017)
- Ohio State Bar Association