After three years of drafts and negotiations, the Ohio General Assembly has passed legislation legalizing sports betting in the state. In a special joint conference committee meeting Wednesday, the House and Senate voted to pass House Bill 29 (HB 29), which now awaits...
OVERVIEW & EXPERIENCE
Scott brings significant skill to KJK’s Corporate team, with 18 years of commercial litigation and transactional experience. His background allows him to assist corporate clients in financing transactions with respect to origination and workout credits. Scott also represents entrepreneurs and individuals in the esports industry, facilitating contracts and negotiating deals to capitalize on the explosive growth in the esports ecosystem. Scott further manages, negotiates and drafts vendor, sponsor, media and league agreements. Scott utilizes his business and legal experience to offer assistance beyond the traditional legal role including rebranding and brand management; esport event preparation and management; esports facility and development and day-to-day venture management to add value to each project.
Prior to joining KJK, Scott acted as outsourced “in-house counsel” for public and private companies and partnerships such as ordinary business transactions including contract preparation and review for day-to-day operations, corporate governance and employment matters, as well as mergers and acquisitions, dispositions and private offerings.
Scott holds a Bachelor of Science degree in political science from Miami University and a Juris Doctorate from the University of Toledo College of Law. He is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan and Ohio State Bar Associations, and serves on the board for Exit Planning Institute. Additionally, Scott is a trustee for Bay Rockets Athletics Association, assisting with fundraising and athlete support for high school and junior high athletics. He also serves as treasurer on the Board of Directors for West Park Academy and East Academy, both charter schools in Cleveland.
When he’s not practicing law, Scott is an avid runner, cyclist and swimmer who enjoys woodworking and restoration of all things old. He lives in Bay Village with his wife and two daughters.
- Served as primary counsel for middle market closely held family businesses in the manufacturing, real estate, transportation, insurance, construction and professional services arena
- Served as primary counsel for banks and lending institutions, conducting commercial loan workouts including the liquidation of corporate assets and the creative restructuring of corporations; managed 100-150 client files and $175-200 million in client assets
- Managed the startup of new business formation, including drafting the transactional documents for private offerings
- Managed the collection practice for major insurance company recovering $1MM in assets yearly
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Exit Planning Institute, Board Member, 2019
- Selected to Ohio Rising Stars, 2011, 2012, 2014
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Bay Rockets Athletics Association, 2018-present
- West Park Academy and East Academy, 2017-present
- Treasurer, Board of Directors
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Coordination of Business and Estate Documents…Avoid Disaster, Exit Planning Institute (Cleveland, Ohio), March 19, 2020
- Hacking Esports: Investment & The Law, Cleveland, Ohio, February 26, 2020
SELECTED ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, The Esports Craze: Exploring the Legal Protections of a Growing Industry, November, 15, 2019